Unless you’re an online shopping wizard (Outfituation’s ‘Gift Lists’ debuting soon!), it’s inevitable that you’ll be venturing out into actual stores for some grocery and gift shopping. Instead of overheating in a sweater (hello stuffy stores, warm crowds and long lines), we love to layer a shirt and jacket to allow for varying temperatures. This one is from Madewell – they have a ton of cute shirts for both wearing and gifting (some at 20% off through Nov. 24). This jacket is from C Wonder. If you haven’t checked them out lately, you seriously need to! They’re currently offering 30% off everything. Happy shopping!
Don’t you love a great sweater that you can wear over the holidays and throughout the winter too? We’re obsessed with this sweater from J Crew – perfect for those days when you have an extra bounce in your step and basic just won’t do! And if one sweater isn’t enough to get your celebratory on, we found these lovlies too:
- Gap Holiday Stripe Wool Sweater (get $45 off your purchase of $100+ until 11/20).
- A perfect, fun, weekend sweater from Kate Spade Saturday.
- This is the cutest, coziest, girliest cardigan ever – Unif Hole Cardigan.
Invited to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends or relatives? Arrive in both style and comfort in a great pair of flare jeans – a more comfortable alternative to tighter, skinny jeans. We love this pair from Frame Denim; it features a higher rise and a mid-weight, stretchy denim. Perfect for pumpkin pie-ing. Our other favorites include:
- Gap’s 1969 Long and Lean Jeans (these jeans have a 4 star rating and at $69.95 they’re hard to beat).
- If 7 for All Mankind is your go-to brand, these lighter washed flare jeans are an awesome choice.
- A flare jean from Free People that are actually ‘pull-on’ jeans (they have a faux-front closure and elastic waistband). But they’re definitely not your grandma’s pants. They come in several colors and have a boho, cool vibe. Kinda like a pajama jean if you ask us, which is a great turkey, football, celebrating, lounging kind of jean!
The early arctic weather presents the perfect time to hunker down inside and finish your to-do lists (your Thanksgiving menu and grocery list, holiday decorating list, Christmas gift list and your what-am-i-going-to-wear list – see Holiday outfit ideas here , here and here)!
And because cold and snow is forecasted through next week and you’ll have to venture out, we found the cutest earmuffs from Anthropologie – a stylish way to endure the chill. But because Mom always told you to put a hat on, we found these too!
The best thing about this outfit (other than its suitability and cute factors) is that it’s very versatile. It works if your office is either conservative or creative. You can wear the sweater on the weekends with jeans. You’ll wear the pants and coat this year and the next year and the next year too! The wristlet also works for your fancy or edgy outfits. And, you can use the agenda for both your personal and professional life (although we appreciate our iPhone calendars, we still love a planner that you can actually write in and flip through).
If you enjoy taking your training outside, the cold weather shouldn’t hinder you from getting your sweat on. Athleta‘s Tracker Top (#2 above) is available in six colors and features a fabric that reacts to both your body’s temperature and the outdoor environment. Pretty cool. In fact, Athleta has a great new collection of mix-and-match winter workout items to keep you perfectly cute and covered for a variety of cold weather activities. Check them out here!
There’s something ultra chic about a cape, so it’s no wonder that it has become the most wanted layering piece of the season. We think it’s super covetable because it’s loose fitting (and thus freeingly comfy cozy), and oh so easy to throw on over leggings and jeans. Wear a tee or sweater underneath, add a pair of boots and you’re good to go (cape crusader complete).
Our other cape favs:
- DKNY has a seriously good collection of capes (cape dresses, cape sweaters and cape cardigans)! This one is our absolute favorite (welcome to our Christmas list Turtleneck Sweater Cape).
- This red plaid cape from Nasty Gal also comes in camel.
- Topshop has great, affordable capes starting at just $52.
- Kick it up a notch with this faux fur trimmed cape by Parkhurst, available in 3 colors at Nordstrom ($98).
If you’re like us our workouts vary and include gym time (the treadmill and various classes), hiking and biking, etc. So an effective and comfortable training shoe is uber essential in our quest for workout maximization. We did our homework and found the highest rated training shoes available, making your everyday training shoe choice easy.
#1 and #2 on our list is the Nike Free 5.0 TR Fit 4 Training Shoe. It received 4.5 – 5 stars on every site we found it on. This shoe has been reviewed on Nordstrom.com 457 times (and has a 4.5 star rating). Best of all, it comes in numerous colors and patterns (see Nordstrom or Nike). At Nike you can even customize this shoe (very cool).
If you’re looking for other options, rest assured we’ve found them for you. Each shoe we’ve featured has at least a 4 star rating, and your favorite workouts just got better!
Going out of town for the holidays? Your perfect plane outfit is all about comfort and layers. Because temperatures can vary during travel (departure and destination cities, airport and airplane), we love the option of throwing on a cozy sweatshirt for a third layer of warmth, and shedding it when we’re warm. And our outfit always includes a scarf and ballet flats (perfect for slipping in and out of quickly when going through airport security). The plaid shirt we’ve featured is super soft and cute and our absolute favorite, but, since plaid is the print of the season, there are tons of cute plaid shirts out there. The others that top our list are this one from Madewell, this one from Forever 21, this one from the Gap, and this one from Ralph Lauren. Happy travels!
When weathering the storm, the key to outfit perfection is total coverage and waterproofing. You can’t go wrong with great rain boots and a warm, versatile parka. We love this one because it not only repels water, it’s two coats in one! It has a removable quilted wool liner that turns the parka into an anorak shell ~ great for when you need to shed a layer of warmth. Here’s some of our other favorites:
- We especially adore the burgandy color of this water repellent parka from Zara. But if you want a coat that goes with everything, it comes in black too.
- This one is awesome if you’re looking for more of a casual Parka. It’s a ‘hunter green’ color that also has a kind of military green vibe.
- The North Face (the retailer of outdoor gear) has this parka that is waterproof, has a quilted lining and detachable hood, and comes in seven colors. Seriously? Pretty much perfection (just look at the reviews!).